Thursday, March 7, 2013

Quiet Book Project: Apple Tree Page



For my second Quiet Book page, I decided to take on something with a little more detail. The Apple Tree page is great practice for fine motor skills as the lightly-stuffed apples are attached to the tree via sew-on snaps. Little ones can pick the apples and then store them in the convenient bushel pocket at the base of the trunk. I had a great time making this page and of the few that I’ve made so far, this is my husband’s favorite.

Apple Tree Page



All of the page elements are hand-stitched and embroidered with basic sewing or blanket stitches. I used the leaves of silk flowers to create the apple stems and green ombre embroidery thread to create the grass effect (which is my favorite part of the page). Though I ended up tweaking the pattern quite a bit as I went along, this page was directly inspired by Jocelyn’s lovely Apple Tree page (complete with printable pattern!). Her blog is an excellent Quiet Book resource and her patterns are great. In fact, she even created a second blog to showcase her reader's creations. I loved her ideas so much that I even decided to make her Dinosaur page, but we’ll get to that later.


 



Difficulty: Easy

Total Time: 5 hours

Supplies:

  • Six 9x11 rectangles of craft felt in the following colors:
  • White (for the background)
  • Hunter green (for the tree foliage)
  • Neon green (for the grass)
  • Red (for the apples)
  • Dark brown (for the trunk)
  • Light brown (for the bushel pocket)
  • 5 small sew-on snaps (I chose to use metal snaps for durability)
  • Embroidery thread
  • Embroidery needle
  • Silk flower leaves (this is entirely optional – you can just as easily use ribbon or felt for the stems or forego the stems altogether)

No comments:

Post a Comment